Best Forex Brokers 2014 | Top 5 Forex Trading Platforms - Ranking, Reviews
Forex Trader Reviewing Trade Strategies (Source: Bigstock)
Instead of playing catch-up to information, technological advancement now allows the currency market to anticipate future events.
Global banks like Goldman Sachs that used to dominate the foreign exchange market (forex or FX) now find themselves contending with individual FX traders (new, average and highly experienced investors).
Presented below is 2014’s list of the top ten best forex brokers and online trading platforms, followed by a comparison ranking table, and then a brief review of the top five FX brokers.
MarketConsensus News started out with a larger list of over 55 forex trading platforms.
After applying various criteria (spreads, ease of use, fast execution, brokerage details, etc.), we narrowed the list down to the below ten best forex brokers.
List of Top 5 Best Forex Brokers
2014 Brokerage Ranking and Comparison Articles
Below are the links to all of MarketConsensus’ 2014 brokerage ranking and comparison reviews. Let us know if you have questions or input.
- Best 5 Forex Brokers | 2014 Reviews
- Best Options Trading Platform | 2014 Top 10 Options Brokers
- Top 10 Best Futures Brokers for Online Traders
- 5 Best Online Stock Trading Sites | Top Online Broker for Investors
What do FX Traders Generally Consider? (Key Selection Criteria)
When researching the various online brokerages to select the best forex broker that best meets their needs, experienced FX traders normally consider the below key variables.
Spread and Trades
The spread is the difference between what the market maker buys a currency for (called the bid), and the price at which they sell a currency to you (called the ask).
The bid is always lower than the ask, so the smaller the spread the better off you are.
When you do business with a broker that uses the Electronic Communications Network (ECN), you are effectively trading directly on the network - which gives you maximum security and control.
When trading forex, fractions of a second can mean money. You want reliability in a high execution rate and the trust that your stop losses will be honored. In such a fast moving market poor execution cannot be tolerated.
On our list of the top five, only brokers with high powered and advanced computational capabilities for fast execution were selected.
Regulatory compliance, direct access to ECN and other broker specific information were considered as part of our analysis
Research and Tools
We considered brokers that provided an advanced level of research, analytics and trading tools
Trading can be stressful enough. If you have a question or concern that needs answering you want fast access to friendly and well experienced support. All of the brokerages on this list are known to have extensive and quality customer support.
Ease of Use
User friendly interface
- 7 Great Trading Tools for New and Experienced Investors
- 5 Top Technology Innovations of 2013 - 2014
- 8 Best Mutual Funds to Invest in 2014
- 2014’s Top Credit Unions Open to Anyone | Credit Unions vs. Banks
Comparison Ranking of the Top 5 Best FX Brokers and Forex Trading Platforms - 2014 Review
Lowest Spread (pip)
# Currency Pairs
50:1 major pairs
Opening Deposit (USD)
El Segundo, CA
New York, NY
New York, NY
Licensed and Regulated
Don’t Miss (Earn Higher Returns):
- Best High Yield Savings Accounts - Earn Higher Interest on Your Deposits
- List of Top Press Release Sites, Best Online Free Press Release Distribution
- Top 6 Best Bond Funds to Invest in 2014 | Corporate and Government Bonds
Best Five Forex Brokers - High Level Reviews
They definitely have the most memorable domain name. Forex.com has been around since 1999 and is a well regulated broker.
Forex.com provides you with a practice account to test your trading strategies.
Their quoted spreads are competitive to the point that forex.com proudly displays their live spreads on their website.
High net worth individuals who qualify are given direct access to an Electronic Communications Network (ECN) through their affiliate GTX platform.
This platform has the benefit of extra tight spreads, deep liquidity and transparent pricing, with client to client trading available.
It is not higher rated for trading stocks and options, but as a pure forex broker forex.com is a great option.
See Also (Bank Reviews):
- SunTrust Bank Reviews | Top 3 Pros, Cons You Should Know About SunTrust
- TD Bank Review, Detailed Analysis and Ranking of TD Bank
- Wells Fargo Reviews | Services, Fees, Wells Fargo Rates - Mortgage, CD, Etc.
- 2014 Huntington Bank Reviews | 4 Pros and Cons You Should be Aware of
Headquartered in California, Manhattan Beach Trading (MB Trading) is well accustomed to the regulatory landscape of the US.
MB Trading is primarily geared towards consumers here in the US and Europe. It is an ECN broker which means execution is optimal and transparent.
Using the firm’s lightwave platform account, you can trade forex as well as futures, stocks and options - all from the same account.
Spreads can be extremely low. However hedging strategies are not supported. If you are planning to be a volume trader, the tight spread and low commissions will make this a favorable choice.
- 6 Best Online Bill Pay Services 2013 - 2014
- EverBank Reviews 2013 - 2014 | Pros, Cons | EverBank Checking, CDs, Rates
- What is PayPal and How Does it Work? 2014 PayPal Reviews, Fees, Complaints
At Alpari, multilingual support and free research tools are available 24 hours a day.
AlpariFX Pro offers you an ideal combination of competitive pricing and market liquidity. Clients can access Pro pricing using a variety of different platforms while implementing a large array of trading strategies.
Unfortunately the pro account requires a $10,000 USD minimum, so if you are looking to start cheaply you will perhaps want to look elsewhere. The pro account requires both experience and a significant amount of spare cash.
Alpari is a regulated US forex broker with offices across the world.
It is a great option to consider, if you can manage the requirements for the pro account.
- Should You Open an American Express Savings Account?
- US Bank Review | Ranking, Fees, Rates, Review
- How Newly Launched Simple Bank is Disrupting How we Bank
A key benefit to trading with TradeKing is that you only need $500 to open an account and you can trade in micro lots. An important concern is that TradeKing is not an ECN broker.
It is instead a Straight-Through-Processing broker which means that you won't have complete control, despite not being charged commissions.
Yes, being charged no commission is a good thing, and TradeKing publishes their spreads live on the website. However they do make their money from the spread, so you'll want to research what is out there.
Like forex.com, TradeKing is affiliated with GAIN Capital. However, in this instance GAIN Capital is acting as the market maker. As such, this is a very low cost option, which is great, but you will want to carefully read the disclaimers to make sure you are comfortable with who controls what if something goes wrong.
- Pros and Cons on Having a Capital One 360 Account
- So Much Confusion: GE Capital Bank Vs. GE Capital Retail Bank
- Why do the British Hate Barclays Bank so Much?
Oanda is not an ECN broker. However, they do not require a minimum account deposit or a minimum trade lot size which makes them a very attractive choice if you want to start small.
OANDA provides a wide range of available currency pairs, with live spreads for easy window shopping. Unlike most brokers, the firm does not charge interest on an overnight basis. Instead, they charge continuously over each 24 hour period.
This can be a really big plus, and can give you a price advantage if you are executing trades late in the day.
OANDA is perhaps one of the better choices for low capitalized beginners.
- Why is Ally Bank one of the Most Highly Rate Banks in America?
- Credit One Bank - For Those Looking to Repair or Build New Credit
- Top 13 Resorts in Jamaica | Montego Bay, Ocho Rios, All Inclusive Vacation
- Quick Guide on Bond Prices and Formula | Bond Calculator, Pricing
- Are Bonds a Good Investment? Should Investors Buy Bonds in 2014?
- US Savings Bonds | Quick Guide for Investors | EE, I Bonds
- Bonds Investment 101 | What are Bonds? How Can I Invest?