Dollar Tree Reports Q3 Quarterly Financial Results
- Report Date: November 21, 2013
- Ticker Symbol: DLTR – NASDAQ Global Select
- Company Name: Dollar Tree Inc.
- Reporting period: Q3-2013
DOLLAR TREE Q3 FINANCIAL REPORT HIGHLIGHTS
- Consolidated Net Sales were reported at $1.88B, up 9.5% from the $1.72B reported in Q3 2012. On a Year to date basis consolidated sales were up by 8.9% to $5.51B when compared to the same period last year
- Comparable same store sales increased 3.1%
- Diluted EPS came in at $0.58 as opposed to $0.68 in the same quarter last year
- Operating Margins came in at 10.8% which represented a 10 basis point beat from last year
- In Q3 the company closed 6 existing stores, and opened 117 new stores. 19 stores were either expanded/renovated or relocated
- Retail selling square footage was reported at 42.9M square feet, an increase of nearly 7% compared to last year
Dollar Tree's management attributed growth in same store sales to growth in consumer basics as well as seasonal products with much higher margins.
Another factor that positioned the company to drive comparable store sales higher is the quick turnaround from Halloween sales to Thanksgiving and now the holiday season.
In Q3 the company also repurchased 15.0 million shares worth approximately $1.0B, and has an additional $1.0B earmarked for future share purchases.