Friday, March 08, 2013 – Here is today’s summary of U.S. stock market activities – Major Headlines, Biggest Losers, Stock Gainers, Top Advancers & Decliners.
Stock Market Headlines
The Dow (DJIA) index continues to break new records, rising 67.58 points to end the day at 14,397.07, its highest close ever. Both the Nasdaq and S&P also ended the day higher as they inched closer to their highest level ever. The Nasdaq was up 12.28 point while the S&P 500 rose 0.45% to end the day at 1551.18.
“Stocks finished higher across the board Friday with the Dow setting a new record high and all three major averages up more than 2 percent for the week, boosted by a stronger-than-expected monthly government payrolls number”.
On the NYSE, advancing stocks (2,010) outpaced declining stocks (986) by a 2:1 ratio. The Nasdaq had 1,666 advancing stocks versus 811 decliners.
Most Active Stocks – Top Gainers by Percentage (NYSE & NASDAQ)
- MGP Ingredients Inc was the highest gainer across the NYSE and Nasdaq, rising 24.76% to end the day at $5.24. The stock rose based on news that “Health Canada has issued a letter of approval to MGP Ingredients regarding the classification of the company's Fibersym(R) RW and FiberRite(R) RW resistant wheat starches as dietary fiber sources in unstandardized foods”.
- Willbros Group Inc stock was the next highest gainer. Investors rushed to buy the company’s shares after the firm released Q4 and Full 20112 earnings report that surprised Wall Street analysts.
- Shares of Broadvision Inc. were the third highest gainers, rising 22.03% to end the day $10.47
Most Active Stocks – Top Losers by Percentage (NYSE & NASDAQ)
- Shares of Skullcandy (SKUL) Stock plunged -22.47% after the firm reported that it would be reporting a loss in Q1. The firm’s management also announced that the company was encountering higher than expected challenges. The issues impacting the firm did not end there. The company also announced that its CEO, Jeremy Andrus, would be stepping down.
- Tecumseh Products Company (TECUA) was the next biggest loser across the NYSE and Nasdaq. The stock declined -13.03% to close the day at $8.34 after the firm reported disappointing 2012 results.
- AngioDynamics, Inc. (ANGO) was next in line with the stock dropping -12.64% to be the third top loser across the Nasdaq and NYSE. Investors rushed to dump the company’s stock after it reported dismal financial reports. “For the quarter, the firm expects to report revenue of approximately $82 million versus the $89 million to $90 million in sales it had previously forecasted.”