Social Media Marketing – How to increase blog traffic using Facebook, Twitter, Google+, LinkedIn, Pinterest, etc.
There are numerous social media marketing strategies for increasing blog traffic and getting more exposure for your blog posts.
At MarketConsensus, we’ve tried numerous methods to promote our blog posts on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+, Pinterest, etc.
Some things worked and some didn’t.
Below are lessons we’ve learned about on how to best optimize your social media marketing efforts, to increase traffic and gain exposure for your blog posts.
3 key steps to get started – increasing site traffic via social media marketing
- Optimize how you submit your blog posts to social media sites.
- Promote your site by becoming an active user of these social media sites – this is key as the more connections you have, the more people will get notified of new postings to your profile, leading to increased traffic and better blog post exposure.
- Create a separate social media account, if you haven’t done so already. It should be different from your personal account and focus on your blogor site.
Below are the 5 major players to concentrate your social medial marketing efforts on
- Social Media Marketing: Facebook
Here is our strategy for optimizing our blog posting to Facebook.
1. We start by copying and pasting the URL of the newly completed blog post onto the "status box" of our Facebook page.
2. As soon as we enter the link onto the status box (before hitting “Post”), Facebook automatically pulls both the title and the first paragraph of the article from our site, along with any images from the article.
3. Next, all we have to do is select which image we want to show, and then hit Post.
4. When users visit Facebook, they are notified of new postings and status updates. An impactful or intriguing post title helps increase the click-through rate.
Posting to your Facebook page can help generate comments and conversations on your Facebook page itself, which can also entice users to click through to your blog or website, thereby increasing your website traffic.
- Social Media Marketing for Twitter
1. When promoting MarketConsensus articles on Twitter, we start by clicking on the Tweet icon to compose a new tweet.
2. We then copy and paste the title of the post onto the “What’s happening?” box. Below the title we paste the URL for the blog post.
3. We also tag some key words that are related to the post. (As seen in the below image, we have tagged #Banks, #Savings, #Accounts.)
When users search for these terms or keywords across the Twitter blogosphere, our tweet will be included on their search result – an action that helps us increase blog traffic and exposure to our site.
- Social Media Promotion to Google+
1. Click on the “Share what’s new…” box on the Google Plus profile for your blog
2. Copy and paste the link to the newly posted article.
3. As soon as you enter the link onto the “Share what’s new…” box, Google+ automatically pulls the title, the first paragraph of the article and any images directly from our site.
4. All you have to do next is select which image you want to show and click “Share”.
- Social Media Marketing – Pinterest
Pinterest is a social media platform for collecting, organizing and sharing images and videos from around the web.
Bloggers normally use it to share images or videos they have appended to their blog posts.
Just like on Facebook, users can view these images and provide comments on your blog’s wall or they can click on the image or photo to visit your site and read the blog.
1. To promote your content on Pinterest, click on the “Add a pin” icon – top of your account page.
2. Add the URL link from which you want to share images or photos on Pinterest.
3. Click on “Find images”.
4. Pinterest then searches for any images on the blog post.
5. It then presents you with all the images found on the article.
6. Select which image you would like to share on Pinterest.
7. Hit submit.
- Promoting blog post to LinkedIn:
1. Similar to Facebook and Google+, all you have to do is copy and paste the link into the status update box on your LinkedIn profile.
2. As soon as you do this, LinkedIn automatically pulls the title and the first paragraph of the article from your site, as well as any images.
3. Select the image you want associated with this status update.
4. Click “Share”.
- Social media marketing strategy – Email lists
- If you have an email marketing list that you send a newsletter to, ensure that your newsletter includes the titles for newly published blog posts.
- Titles should be accompanied by the first paragraph or two from the blog post.
- Knowing that there is new content to review helps entice users to click and visit your blog and your website.
- You can also use information about new content as building blocks for drafting ad sending regular newsletters.
- Promoting your blog post to StumbleUpon:
Know of any other places to promote your site or submit blog posts in order to gain exposure? Let us know in the comments section below.
Looking forward to your comments and input