Thursday, March 14, 2013 – Here is today’s summary of U.S. stock market activities – Major Headlines, Biggest Stock Losers, Highest Stock Gainers, Top Advancers & Decliners.
Stock Market Headlines
The Dow (DJIA) soared today as it continued its record breaking rally. The index rose 83.86 points to end the day at 14,539.14. "This could be the greatest bull run since the 80s only because there's nowhere else for investors to go," said Alan Valdes, director of floor operations at DME Securities. The Fed's pumping $85 billion a month into the market so there's no way for it to go down, but everyone's got their finger on the trigger because they don't know when this is going to turn".
The Nasdaq was up 13.81 points to end the day at 3258.93, while the S&P 500 rose 0.56% to close the day at 1563.23. The S&P 500 is a few points away from its highest level ever.
On the NYSE, advancing stocks (2,001) outpaced declining stocks (990), while the Nasdaq had 1,618 advancing stocks versus 819 decliners.
- Quicksilver Resources (KWK) was the highest gainer across the NYSE and Nasdaq, surging 26.85% to end the day at $2.74.
- The Men's Wearhouse stock was the next highest gainer. The stock surged 19.09% today after the firm announced that “it would explore options for K&G, its weakest-performing unit. The company's fourth-quarter results were less-than-impressive, but the possibility of a K&G sale reignites optimism over a prolonged turnaround”.
- Shares of Sinovac Biotech stock (SVA) were the third highest gainers, rising 17.87% to end the day at $3.76 after the firm announced “that its experimental vaccine for hand, foot and mouth disease met its goal in a late-stage clinical trial”.
- Velti Plc continues to rank as a top loser, declining 14.17% to be the biggest stock loser across the NYSE and Nasdaq. Yesterday, the stock declined -22.83% to close the day at $2.4, based on disappointing revenue forecasts.
- Shares of Daqo New Energy Corp stock plunged -11.06% making it the second biggest loser.
- Anadigics was next in line with its stock dropping -10.41% to be the third top loser across the Nasdaq and NYSE. “Shares of the struggling wireless equipment maker fell Thursday after it priced an offering at $2 per share”.