Friday, March 22, 2013 – Major Stock Market Headlines, Biggest Stock Losers, Highest Stock Gainers, Top Advancers & Decliners.
Stock Market Headlines
Stocks rose sharply today “rebounding from their biggest drop in nearly a month, as worries over Cyprus diminished and following a batch of upbeat earnings reports.”
The DOW (DJIA) jumped 90.54 points to end at 14,512.03. The S&P and Nasdaq both rose 0.70%. There were 1,871 stock advancers on the NYSE versus 1,083 stock decliners. On the Nasdaq, there were 1,441 advancers versus 962 decliners.
- Halozyme Therapeutics (HALO) stock soared 30.93% making it the biggest stock gainer (by percentage points) across the NYSE and Nasdaq. Investors rushed to buy the stock after the company announced “a positive opinion from a European panel over its primary and secondary immunodeficiency drug, HyQvia.”
- Anacor Pharmaceuticals was the next highest gainer, rising 25.62%. Yesterday ANAC’s stock surged 26.04% making it the highest gainer (by percentage points) after the firm reported “positive results from a Phase 2 dose-ranging trial (AN2728-AD-204) of its topical boron-based phosphodiesterase-4 (PDE-4) inhibitor, AN2728.”
- Shares of Marin Software (MRIN) stock were the third highest stock gainers, rising 16.14% on its first day of trading.
- Tibco Software (TIBX) was the biggest stock loser across the NYSE and Nasdaq. The stock fell 9.41% to close the day at $20.99 after the firm reported quarterly results and 2013 forecast that came in below expectations.
- Shares of Quicksilver Resources stock dropped 8.84%, making it the second biggest loser. The firm reported financial results and forecast that disappointed stock investors.
- Silicon Graphics was next in line with its stock falling 8.20% to be the third top loser across the Nasdaq and NYSE.
Good luck in your investing. Let us know if you have any questions, comments or feedback,
MarketConsensus Stock Analysis Team