Tuesday, March 5, 2013 – Here is today’s summary of U.S. stock market activities – Major Headlines, Nasdaq & NYSE Biggest Losers, Stock Losers & Gainers.
Stock Market Headlines
The DJIA index surged passed its previous highest level to end the day at a new high of 14,253.77. The S&P and Nasdaq also soared with both indexes close to their all-time highs.
On the NYSE, advancing stocks (2,216) outpaced decliners (792) by almost 3:1. On the Nasdaq, advancers were 1,728 versus 727 decliners
- MGIC Investment (MTG) was the highest gainer across the NYSE and Nasdaq, rising 27.75% to end the day at $5.34. The firm raised $350 million in Convertible Notes and new stock to boast its balance sheet.
- Dyax (DYAX) was the next highest gainer. Investors rushed to snap up the company’s shares after the firm reported Q4 2012 results and forecasted a double-digit increase in their financial figures.
- Shares of Himax Technologies ADS (HIMX) rose 18.02% making the stock the third biggest gainer.
- Shares of Impax Laboratories (IPXL) plunged 26% today “after the company reported that the FDA continues to have concerns with one of its manufacturing facilities”.
- Renewable Energy Group was the next biggest loser, declining -20.92% to close the day at $6.01. The firm reported Q4 and FY 2012 results that disappointed investors.
- China HGS Real Estate Inc. (HGSH) was next in line, dropping -15.01% to end the day as the third highest loser across the Nasdaq and NYSE.