Wednesday, March 6, 2013 – Here is today’s summary of U.S. stock market activities – Major Headlines, Nasdaq & NYSE Biggest Losers, Stock Losers & Gainers.
Stock Market Headlines
The Dow (DJIA) index continues to break new records. It ended the day at 14,296.24, its highest close ever. The Nasdaq however was slightly down at the end of the day, while the S&P 500 index rose a mere 0.11%.
Advancing stocks (1,661) outpaced decliners (1,322) on the NYSE. On the Nasdaq, advancers were 1,339 versus 1,106 decliners
Most Active Stocks – Top Gainers by Percentage (NYSE & NASDAQ)
- Osiris Therapeutics, Inc. was the highest stock gainer across the NYSE and Nasdaq, rising 35.31% to end the day at $9.35. The firm reported a lower than expected financial loss and a much improved Q4 Results of Operations.
- Endeavour International Corporation stock was the next highest gainer, rising 29.20%. Similar to what happened with Osiris Therapeutics, investors rushed to snap up Endeavour‘s shares after the firm reported a smaller Q4 loss than was expected by Wall Street analysts.
- Shares of Homeowners Choice Inc rose 19.45% making HCI the third biggest stock gainer across the NYSE and Nasdaq. Yesterday, the firm discussed Q4 2012 financial results.
Most Active Stocks – Top Stock Losers by Percentage (NYSE & NASDAQ)
- Shares of Sohu.com Inc. (SOHU) plunged 11% today after the company denied rumors that it was going private.
- American Eagle Outfitters was the next biggest stock loser across the NYSE and Nasdaq. The stock (AEO) declined -10.11% to close the day at $20.27. The firm “reported disappointing fiscal fourth-quarter earnings and offered a first-quarter earnings forecast well below analysts' estimates”.
- AeroVironment (AVAV) was next in line with the stock dropping 9.77% to be the third top loser across the Nasdaq and NYSE. The firm reported lower than expected revenue of $47.1 million, a 34.6% year-over-year decline.